Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Family Pumpkin Night!






So, at our house, we don't carve pumpkins... with 4 kids under the age of 8, it's simply too dangerous. Instead, I found these really cool things... kinda like Mr. Potato Head parts, only for pumpkins! Our new tradition goes like this: Each family member gets a pumpkin that is realtive in size to their age. Then, on pumpkin night, we all sit around the table with our pumpkins, all the pieces, and dice.



Everybody rolls the dice, and the highest roller gets to pick first. We roll once for each body part. For example, first we roll for mouths, then noses, etc... This makes things fair, because usually, whoever gets to pick first for one body part ends up picking last for another.



We all pick our parts and assemble our pumpkins then present them for a photo shoot. Afterwards, they all go out on the front porch to decorate our yard for the season. The best part about not carving pumpkins is that the pumpkins last much longer this way. After Halloween is over, we pull out the parts and turn the pumpkins around and leave them out for Thanksgiving!



My favorite pumpkin this year was Bella's. Mind you, I decorated it... she's a bit young. After putting in the mouth and the binkie, I gave it to her to play with, and turned away to decorate my pumpkin. When I looked back, she had the eyes in one hand, the pumpkin in the other, and the binkie in her own mouth!

4 comments:

  1. I love the binky in Bella's pumpkin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT tradition! I despise carving pumpkins. This year we didn't even buy pumpkins...how terrible am I? I need to find these (where do I find them?) and do it for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha, I'm not sure where I found them honestly... I think somewhere like Target or K-Mart though.

    ReplyDelete